Princeton University Chapel
Photos by @annaporterartist, layout in #InstaMag by @fotorus_official on an iPhone5.
Location: Princeton, New Jersey, United States
Year consecrated: 1928
Leadership: Alison Boden, Dean of the Chapel
Architect(s): Ralph Adams Cram
Architectural type: Cathedral
Architectural style: Collegiate Gothic
General contractor: Matthews Construction Company
Direction of façade: West
Construction cost: US$2.3 million
Capacity: almost 2,000
Length: 277 feet (84 m)
Width: 76 feet (23 m)
Height (max): 121 feet (37 m)
Materials: Sandstone, limestone
"Princeton University built the chapel to replace the Marquand Chapel, which stood between where the present chapel and McCosh Hall stand until it burned to the ground in 1920.
Ralph Adams Cram, the university’s supervising architect, designed and oversaw construction of the new chapel. Cram sought to build a crown jewel for the Collegiate Gothic motif he had championed on the Princeton campus. The university’s president, John Grier Hibben, hoped the new chapel’s majesty would inspire students to attend services of their own volition.
At the time it was built, in 1928, the Princeton University Chapel was the largest university chapel in the United States and the second largest in the world after King’s College Chapel, Cambridge.
On March 13, 1960, less than six weeks after the first of the Greensboro sit-ins, Martin Luther King, Jr., delivered a sermon at the chapel. In the sermon he called for universal brotherhood and a life of spiritual richness.
The chapel underwent a two-year, $10 million restoration between 2000 and 2002. The project earned a New Jersey Historic Preservation Award in 2002, and the stone work won the 2004 Tucker Award for Renovation and Restoration from Stone World magazine.”
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princeton_University_Chapel (at Princeton University, Princeton, NJ)